Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Martin Limon

Just finished reading my first story by Martin Limon, "Death of an Aztec Princess" in the current Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. This is a magazine I hope to one day be published in, but if Martin Limon is my competition, I don't stand a chance. Probably one of the best mystery short stories I've ever read, and I've read Chandler, Hammett et al.

The story introduces a new character for Limon, if I understand correctly, a private eye who goes by the name of Gonzo. Anyway, it is told quite beautifully -- Limon is able to pack in so much more than just a plot: well drawn, full blooded characters (and not just the main character either) a little sociological study of Los Angeles and of Chicano culture to name a couple of items. In any event, I will be looking for more stuff by this author. Bob Tinsley's review of the story (I'll link later) turned me on to it, and for that, I am grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home