Monday, March 09, 2009

I've never read...

Robert B. Parker. There. I've said it. And there's even a reason for the oversight - in fact, it's not really an oversight at all. Ever since I became interested in mysteries about ten years ago, I've been hearing about Parker and, frankly, it is always along the lines of "Mr. Parker phoned in another novel. Don't waste your time unless you're a die-hard fan." Because of reviews like this,I never gave him a chance. Life being short and all that.

Still, I'm wondering what I'm missing. So I'm asking for a recommendation. But... Unlike most readers, I'm not that interested in the history of the author - that is, I don't want his "breakthrough" novel. I want to know what is his most recent novel that you think is a must read. Has he written anything in the past ten years that is absolutely "can't miss" material?

Or am I right to think that Parker's ability to "wow" a reader went stale in the 1980s?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gerald So said...

I wouldn't say Parker has any "can't-miss" stuff in the past ten years, but his Jesse Stone series, on which the Tom Selleck TV movies are based, started well with NIGHT PASSAGE in 1997.

March 09, 2009 6:16 PM  
Blogger Mark Troy said...

I think his Jesse Stone series, which Gerald mentioned, and his Sunny Randall Series are excellent. Perish Twice is a good Sunny Randall read. The most recent Spenser book I read was Cold Service. It was a very good book, very gripping. It doesn't rise to the level of "must read." On the other hand, Parker reaches a level with all his stories that is above most mysteries.

Mark
http://hawaiian-eye.blogspot.com

March 24, 2009 11:43 AM  
Blogger Leigh Russell said...

Due to a glitch in amazon.uk’s system, I believe I’ve written the only crime thriller in the UK that doesn’t appear on amazon.co.uk. My publisher’s many other titles are listed, and my book can be ordered from all other uk online suppliers, as well as amazon sites around the world. Amazon.uk refuse to acknowledge their technical error.
I’m an insignificant individual, powerless to influence this huge corporation, but their indifference has incensed me. I’m attempting to battle amazon.uk’s virtual monopoly of the uk online book market by asking readers in the USA to order my inexpensive paperback through other online suppliers like amazon.com

If you would be kind enough to consider supporting my campaign against a faceless corporation, please check out my blog for details of Cut Short by Leigh Russell.

By the way I have the same UK publisher as ROBERT B PARKER

April 12, 2009 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home