Saturday, January 21, 2006

We have a title...

Kinda. MISSING IN PRECINCT PUERTO RICO. How does that grab you? No difference, that's the title of book four in the series. It was the one that was proposed to me by the powers that be at St Martins. I gave other suggestions, but they kept this one. Ah well, could be worse. Some of the other suggestions were quite bad. John Rickards proposed a title I can't bring myself to write here. I didn't suggest it to SMP. Perhaps that was bad of me.

Anyway, no official word on whether there will be a subtitle. That is, will they continue the trend and subtitle the book "BOOK FOUR"? Divided over this issue myself. I didn't want them to subtitle the first book "BOOK ONE". Or the second book. Saying BOOK ONE makes it sound like I'm writing one long continuous story - you'll be lost in book two if you haven't first read book one. NOT TRUE! You'll be lost in book two regardless. No wait... Of course, this would be no real problem if all the books were simply kept in print indefinitely.

Readers are sometimes shocked to hear that I don't get to chose my own titles. Of course, I could. I could stand firm and threaten to take my books elsewhere. That would require the development of a different spine and possibly other body parts.

In any event, I'm trying to get used to the title. Can't wait for the artwork - David Baldeosingh Rotstein has done top-notch work on every cover so far (as he has for other authors) and I'm hoping for something good this time out too.

I'll have to discuss some of the difficulties this book is presenting for me as I try to think of ways to market/advertise it. Again, John R. gave me some good ideas at the last B'con, but I'm afraid I won't be taking his advice. Certainly not the posable dolls one.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Rickards said...

My title was a thing of beauty. SMP would have swooned at your feet and promised you the earth if you had suggested it.

And sticking "book 4" on a cover can't do much to help the series get new readers, I'd have thought. But that's just me.

Now, my title - well, that would get them selling in droves...

January 21, 2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

About "Book Four," that's NOT just you. It's me too. And several bookstore owners. If they don't have #1, it's no sale on #2 and 3 as well.

As for the title, I'm certain there's a niche market that would be attracted to a title like that. Sadly, most of them are no longer allowed to use the internet so Amazon sales are out, and the rest have those ankle bracelet things that would make getting to a bricks and mortar store impossible. Or at least tricky.

January 21, 2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home