Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Kindle Plan

Okay, I have Kindle stories, but I don't have much of a plan for my Kindle career. Chances of becoming a Kindle millionaire, then, are therefore slim. But, I do have a general outline of what I'd like to accomplish, and here it is:

1 - Learn how to put stuff on Kindle properly - that is, when it is a multi-segment work like a short story collection, it should have a table of contents that allows readers to skip to the story they want. The ebooks should have decent covers especially when it's a collection or other full length book. I figure it will take me another month to learn how to do this on my own.

2 - Put all my short stories on the Kindle. This includes a total of about 30 stories, most of them previously published either for cash or FTL*. This is about 135,000 words in short stories in a total of six files - four collections and two single stories. Hopefully I can have this all up by the end of April, but I wouldn't be upset if it turned out to be the end of May.

3 - Get back the rights to THE CONCRETE MAZE from Dorchester and bring that to Kindle this Summer (or earlier, but Dorchester has heavy, dragging feet). It's my best book so far, and I'd like people to get a chance to read it.

4 - Finish a couple of original novels and bring them online in the second half of this year.

I figure that once I have all the short stories and a novel or two out there (mid-summer?) I can expect to see real money rolling in.

You'll notice that one item completely missing from my master-plan is advertising/marketing. I hate to admit it, but I really haven't given that much thought. Maybe I should refer to the Kindles in my signature line? Maybe I should tell people I know? I don't have a mailing list - always seemed rude to intrude emails into people's lives. But maybe I should start one. Somehow.
Any thoughts?



*FTL = For the love.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home