Sunday, September 04, 2011

Joining the Not-Ready-to-Die Club

Or more properly, the not-ready-to-die-but-never-going-to-eat-right club. That is, jogging. My goodness it's tremendously difficult. Not really a surprise. I wasn't avoiding jogging because I thought it was too easy. I had heard rumors that it made you sweat. True. And that you could come away all achy. Also true. I haven't yet tested the "serious injury" rumor.

I've also heard of "runner's high" or "runner's euphoria." While I don't think you can properly call what I do "running," there is a chance I've experienced this especially if "runner's high" is something like gasping for air until you feel almost ready to vomit. If that is, in fact, the case, then I've been there a few times. Don't see the attraction really.

On a serious note, however, I'm 230 pounds and have been for years. I've been jogging thrice weekly for about two months and while I know I'm healthier and I fit into my clothes better (tent-like as most of my wardrobe is) I haven't lost an ounce. Not if you can trust the little Wii Fit gremlin that tells me I'm obese every week. Last few weeks I haven't bothered to ask his opinion on the matter. Like I said, I'm healthier.

Signs of health:

* I "ran" two and a quarter miles on Friday without pausing for water or air or to check over my shoulder to see if the Grim Reaper was still behind me. I've never in my years jogged a mile let alone two before this past Friday. I'd never done more than a half mile in my first two months of working at it, then I just decided to see how far I could get and I surprised myself.

* The flights of stairs at work are much easier to handle. Still not as easy as taking the elevator, but getting there.

* My tinnitus is much reduced. Could be unrelated since my former doctor thought it was Psychosomatic anyway, but it is improved, that I'm sure of.

In any event, I contemplate running in a 5 mile race later this year. We'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Good for you. Keep a-goin'

September 04, 2011 5:13 PM  
Blogger Graham Powell said...

Based on my own experience (in 2008 I went from 240 to 215, which I'm still at), you won't lose much at first as you put on muscle. Keep going and you will see loss.

Eventually you might want to switch to something like an elliptical trainer to prevent injury. I bunged up my knee and have used the elliptical ever since.

(But then, my knees are made of paper mache', so YMMV.)

September 07, 2011 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home