Thursday, March 30, 2006

Orson Scott Card again...

Recently I posted about starting Ender's Game, and whether I could read a book by a writer who has...let's say very strong views about political and moral issues. Views, I don't necessarily share. Steve Hockensmith, author of the quite funny Holmes on the Range says he can't enjoy Card because of those political leanings. I answered something to the effect of "too bad, you're missing out." Steve then emailed me with a threat of bodily harm. I've printed that out and have it in a safe deposit box with instructions to my lawyer concerning what should be done in case of my untimely demise.

Well, though the book is really good, and I read over a hundred pages in one day (almost a page-speed record for me) I've only gotten another thirty pages along. Not, mind you, that the book is bad or anything. I think it's dragging its feet a little making a point I got a while ago (Ender needs to take command though he's only seven or eight years old). But I simply don't have time to read as I would like. Will I finish the book? Of course. Probably even very soon. Maybe this weekend.
I'd give real money to be able to sit for some serious blocks of time reading Ender's Game.

---- ---- ---- ----

I also just added a bunch of used Bill Crider paperbacks (all Dan Rhodes series) to my collection of TBR books: #s 1039, 1040, 1041, 1042 and 1043 on the pile. I'm actually looking forward to his next Dan Rhodes A Mammoth Murder. Bill has written books with Willard Scott. Not really connected to anything, just thought I'd blurt that out.

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

If you ever get to read those books by the Crider guy, I hope you like 'em.

March 31, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I really enjoyed Ender's Game, when I read it many moons ago. In high school I read a lot of his stuff--I swapped books with a friend down the street and pretty much all of her SF was Card, due in no small part to the Mormon connection--and found it variable. But the good stuff was very good.

I don't know if he was as...um, I guess "extreme" is a polite word for it...back then, or if I just didn't know about it. I suppose ignorance is bliss. I can't say his views would prevent me from buying his books, but they're certainly enough to make me think twice.

I didn't threaten my husband with divorce when he bought some of the recent Ender sequels. I even read one, and it solved my "What do I do about OSC?" quandry. Not good at all. Not good on several distinct and important levels. So now I don't have to question whether or not a Card boycott is silly or morally necessary. I'd probably be avoiding his stuff anyway.

I have been pretty successful in keeping Ender's Game in its own mental compartment, a few neurons removed from the compartment reserved for its creator. I read it in one sitting; even my husband, who's not the fastest reader in the world, whipped through it. I do miss having those blocks of time to read. More and more I'm finding that putting a book aside can break the spell. And, more practically, if I had great big blocks of time I could read more books.

April 03, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Megan,
I know what you mean about the blocks of time issue. Frankly, however, I read the first hundred pages in a day (very quick for me) then the next 30 pages in three days (more my style) and have stopped pretty much cold. There's a 3 or 4 page passage that bored me (concerning two children wanting to take over the world by posting messages on the web?!?). Will I get back to it? Possibly.

In the interim, I've started Bill Crider's Shotgun Saturday Night. Going very well so far.

April 03, 2006 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home